Sunday, July 31, 2005

Springsteen's Letter to the NY Times Editor

Published: July 31, 2005

Greetings From Rumson, N.J.
To the Editor:Regarding "The Boss Bibliography" (July 3), by A. O. Scott:

The merits of my music and performances over the last 30 years I gladly leave to the fans, critics and writers. On the subject of "image," however, I thought I might be able to provide some simple clarification.

The "saintly, man of the people" thing I occasionally see attached to my name is bull – – – –. It was perhaps invented, like myself, by Jon Landau . . . or maybe by that high school kid somewhere who supposedly wrote "Blowin' in the Wind." Life, art and identity are, of course, much more complicated. How do I know? I heard it in a Bruce Springsteen song.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
Rumson, N.J.

No comments: